Frequently Asked Questions by International Students

Is Herzing University the right university for me or my student?

We believe that Herzing University is right for you or your student, and we’re excited to welcome you into the Herzing University family. Herzing University advantages include:

  • Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (www.hlcommission.org - 800-621-7440) - in the United States, regional accreditation is a prestigious institutional accreditation that is awarded to universities that abide by stringent guidelines
  • Programmatic accreditation in various specific degree programs
  • High-quality degree programs providing knowledge and skills that employers want
  • Simple, facilitated admissions process with notification of admission decision within 7 days
  • Step-by-step assistance with the U.S. education visa application process and requirements
  • Personalized attention and individualized support from Herzing University leadership, faculty, and staff
  • Cultural support and one-on-one assistance from a Herzing University international student ambassador
  • Practical, hands-on learning through Optional Practical Training [OPT] internships
  • Accelerated degree programs: earn a Bachelor’s degree in just 3 years or a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree in 4 years

Is it expensive to attend Herzing University?

No. In the U.S., in-state tuition is the best available tuition rate. Herzing University’s tuition is very competitive and compares favorably to U.S. in-state tuition rates. This often makes Herzing University’s tuition rate more affordable than universities offering scholarships. And our tuition for international students is the same as our tuition for U.S. students; most U.S. universities charge much higher tuition rates for their international students.

Besides tuition, what other costs must I consider?

You’ll need to consider housing costs and personal expenses such as health insurance, a laptop computer, food, clothing, travel and transportation, mobile phone, entertainment, etc. These costs will vary by individual.

And while most U.S. universities have a two semester academic year, Herzing has a three semester academic year. So you can earn your undergraduate degree in three years instead of four.

Herzing University also offers an accelerated program where you can earn both a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in four years total. You can also earn a Master’s degree only in as few as 16 months.

Is a U.S. visa difficult to obtain?

If you follow the established process, obtaining an F-1 student visa is not as difficult as you might think. And at Herzing University, we’re here to assist every step of the way. The vast majority of our qualified international students receive an F-1 student visa.

The staff at Herzing University is very familiar with the U.S. government F-1 visa process. We meet regularly with the consular officers. They know us personally and recognize that our students are high-quality, qualified F-1 applicants.

We assist our students in critical areas of the visa process such as demonstrating the intent to return to a home country upon study completion; the ability to finance school, transportation, and living expenses; and English language capability at a sufficiently high level for student success.For complete details, please refer to the visa instructions in your packet.

Do you have dormitories?

No. We have considered it, but our students overwhelmingly prefer apartments (flats). Apartments are nicer, larger, less expensive, and allow students to cook their own food. Apartments also provide a more authentic American living experience than dormitories do. Additionally, apartments are a nicer place to live during American holidays when students vacate the dormitories.

What kind of support system is available to me as a student?

Herzing University offers broad support in a wide variety of areas including academic and student services, housing, transportation, and medical and insurance support.

Additionally, once international students are accepted for enrollment—even prior to arrival in the U.S.—they are paired with a Herzing University on-campus, international student ambassador. The student ambassador is a knowledgeable, accessible Herzing University person who will provide one-on-one assistance with any questions, concerns, or needs you might have. The ambassador is just a call, text, or email away, from the time you are accepted at Herzing University to the moment you graduate. So you’ll have peace of mind, and so will your family back home.

How do I decide which Herzing University campus is right for me?

All Herzing University campuses have the same credentials for academic excellence, so you should choose a campus that offers the program you want to study and fits your preferences for lifestyle, geographic location, and climate. Our Herzing University advisors will work closely with you to help find the campus that is just right for you.

Is Herzing University’s smaller campus size right for me?

Yes, if you are looking for a more personal educational experience. Herzing University’s supportive, personalized approach to education ensures that all Herzing University students have access to the tools and assistance they need to maximize their educational and career success.

Herzing University's leadership, faculty, and staff will get to know you as an individual. This is very different from the experience at a large state university where you may feel like you are just a number. At Herzing University, you will feel like a valued member of our learning community; many students say they feel like they are part of a family at Herzing.

How do I get health insurance in the U.S.?

Herzing University coordinates with leading U.S. health insurance providers. A variety of plans are available for students to purchase, and the plans cover most major medical expenses after any deductible or co-payment requirements have been met. We recommend that you review the available plans in detail to ensure that you select the best plan for your individual health situation.